Jersey Future Team
A joint programme
Genetic gain is a fundamental driver for the success and sustainability of Jerseys in New Zealand.
Both Jersey NZ and LIC share significant values for our golden cow and together with this programme – Jersey Future, we will deliver unmatched success. This program is yours – every member of Jersey NZ will benefit from the outcomes and we are excited about the opportunity this scheme has to offer our breed. You, our members, already invest significantly in all drivers for genetic gain.
Breeders herds rank at the top of most performance and genetic measures. LIC realise the gain brought about by Jersey NZ member’s passion and investment and want to be part of it. Jersey NZ are delighted to be working alongside an organisation with the expertise and reputation of LIC. The David and Goliath competition on the RAS list show Jerseys taking out more positions than any other breed, is testament to the breed and LIC’s significant investment within their Jersey programme.
- Annually up to 8 bulls will enter the Jersey Future scheme
- Members are asked to nominate elite bull calves, born before 10th September, 2022
- JNZ will accept nominations and pass those nominations onto the Jersey Future selection panel. The selection panel consists of up to three JNZ members and up to two LIC representatives. JNZ and LIC have 50% voting rights
- LIC will provide BARs and 3GPs for consideration
- Nominations will be considered for Genomic testing fortnightly from 1st August to 10th September. LIC will genomically test up to 50 member nominated bulls annually.
- Some members will have elite females represented in LICs breeding scheme and the Jersey Journey project, we see opportunity to bring some of these genetics to the Jersey Future programme also.
- LIC field assists will contact you to sample bull calves.
- LIC will inspect Jersey Future selected bull calves and dams as part of their scheduled bull buying round commencing in November.
- Bulls will be selected by late November. Owners willing to sell a Jersey bull to LIC pursuant to clause 4.6 will be required to enter into a sale and purchase agreement with LIC in a form that is acceptable to LIC in all respects, for the sum of:
- $4,000 (plus GST) per Jersey bull; or
- $5,000 (plus GST) per Jersey bull where that Jersey bull has been created by embryo transfer; or
- $1,000 (plus GST) per Jersey bull plus $0.60 (plus GST if any) per straw of Qualifying Semen and $1.20 (plus GST if any) for sexed semen; or
- $2,000 (plus GST) per Jersey bull where that Jersey bull has been created by embryo transfer plus $0.60 (plus GST if any) per straw of Qualifying Semen and $1.20 (plus GST if any) for sexed semen, and
- where LIC has made payment to an Owner pursuant to 4.7(a) or 4.7(b) and where LIC (in its sole discretion) has accepted the Jersey bull under one of its Premier Sires® or Alpha® brands or the Jersey bull is accepted for the sale of semen outside of New Zealand, an additional payment of $10,000 (plus GST if any)
Helpful hints for bull selection
- We require bulls from strong maternal lines with a minimum three generations of outstanding cows
- Less than 3 generations of full J16 pedigree will only be accepted with exceptional circumstances
- Jersey Future provides opportunity to prove some elite diverse genetics – nominations of outcross bulls are encouraged and will be seriously considered for inclusion into the Jersey Future team.
We emphasise the opportunity for genetic outcross potential within this program
Once bulls are selected:
- JNZ will graze and manage the bulls until they reach graduation
- Up to 2000 straws will be collected by LIC
- LIC and JNZ will promote and market the team
Jersey NZ’s responsibility:
- JNZ has the responsibility to ensure 70 herd tested daughters in 35 herds from each bull. Incentives will be offered to the owners of Jersey Future sired two year olds ensuring we meet our obligations
- LIC will market elite graduates in ALPHA nominated and PSS bull teams
- LIC will pay JNZ agreed Royalties which will cover JNZ costs and any surplus will be invested back into your organisation
In conclusion we encourage you to offer your very best genetics. Our success depends on you.
Please consider Jersey Future with your 2022 mating program.
The resulting offspring have the potential to contribute significantly to our breed.
Below is your 2022 Jersey Future Team
|AB CODE \ BIRTH ID||NAME||DAM NAME / SIRE NAME||BREEDER NAME|
|322200 \ DQBT-21-134||Lynbrook Popeye Tailormade||Lynbrook Vjquin Trick / Kaimatarau Flint Popeye||Lynbrook Farm Ltd|
|322202 \ CFWR-21-55||Okura Titus Kowhai||Okura Floyds Kamo / Thornwood Banff Titus
||Kowhai Properties Ltd|
|322203 \ GHB-21-40||Two View Odin||Two View Cyclone Reva / Glenui GB Lucian||G & C Vowles|
|322204 \ MRTW-21-137||Williams Faithful Lemo-ET||Williams Goldie Lemon / Williams LT Faithful ET||Totara Dairy Ltd|
|322205 \ DQBT-21-120||Lynbrook Trigg Bravado||Lynbrook Star Bowie / Thornwood Degree Trigger||Lynbrook Farm Ltd|
|322206 \ JTDB-21-361||Thornwood Titus Vulcan||Thornwood Kingpin Vera JG / Thornwood Banff Titus||Thornwood Family Trust|
|322208 \ GFW-21-180||Crescent Vin Mystique||Crescent Goldie Momo / Crescent Olm Vindicate ET||Agrivest Ltd|